Foremost philanthropist, IBD Dende petitions IGP, Arise TV, NBC Over Fisayo Soyombo fijnigeria's report  | Nigeria Updates- Breaking News, Nigerian News, Politics, Sports, Entertainment and Business - Nigeriaupdates.com Nigeria Updates
Connect with us

Nigeria News

Foremost philanthropist, IBD Dende petitions IGP, Arise TV, NBC Over Fisayo Soyombo fijnigeria’s report 

Published

on

 

 

 

A foremost businessman and Philanthropist, Alhaji Ibrahim Dende Egungbohun , popularly called IBD Dende has petitioned the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, the National Broadcasting Commission, NBC and Arise Television on the libelous publication by an undercover Journalist, Fisayo Soyombo.

 

 

 

Egungbohun said that the allegations are designed for the purpose of causing inconvenience, danger, criminal intimidation, enmity, hatred against him.

 

Egungbohun in a letter written to the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun by his counsel, D.O Folalu of Law Fix Chambers said the publication where Alhaji Ibrahim Dende Egungbohun’s name were mentioned amount to character assassination with calculated view to achieve damaging effects against IBD Dende an his businesses within and outside Nigeria.

 

Nigeriaupdates reports that Soyombo last week in his write up titled “Undercover as a smuggler” alleged that Egungbohun was a smuggler of Rice, turkey and guns.

 

The said publication which was published since Thursday, February 22, 2024 on microblogging site, X (formerly known as Twitter) and tweeting under the handles of fijnigeria and efisayosoyombo with different contents, including a sixteen minute documentary titled “Undercover as a smuggler” was also broadcast on the Arise Television.

 

In the petition to the Inspector General of Police, Egungbohun said that “the publications and the documentary fabricated by Fisayo Soyombo in relation to our client, are false in their entirety and they excessively breached the decent fundamentals of public enlightenment which the freedom of press is constitutionally about.

 

“It is therefore our client’s position that the totality of the documentary where our client’s name is criminally featured and the followed-up publications amount to nothing, but character assassination with calculated view to achieve damaging effects against our client in his businesses within and outside Nigeria.

 

“It is also the position of our client that these orchestrated allegations are designed for the purpose of causing inconvenience, danger, criminal intimidation, enmity, hatred and needless anxiety to our client contrary to section 24 of the cybercrimes (prohibition, prevention) Act, 2015.

 

The Petition, said Alhaji Egungbohun “is a Customs Licensed Agent with his business ventures cutting across Hospitality, Agriculture, Quarry, Freight forwarding and transportation.

 

Alhaji Ibrahim Dende Egungbohun then requested the IGP to cause the publications to be investigated with utmost urgency and seriousness, “as they have implication not for the person of our client only but for the security architecture of our dear Country”.

 

Also in the petition to the Arise TV, the counsel said the Television Station aired the libellous sixteen-minute long

documentary “focusing on our client, manifestly pre-occupied with criminal resentment and hatred neither warranted, necessary. proper nor justified against our client. international

 

“Now, considering that our client is a shrewd and highly reputable businessman within and outside Nigeria, with his business ventures cutting across Hospitality, Freight Forwarding. Agriculture and Quarry, we found the broadcast about his life and businesses utterly absurd, disrespectful of media responsibility. ethically abusive, malicious and unbecoming of a media house of Arise TV stature.

 

“More disturbing is also the fact that your media house failed to verify the accuracy of the said documentary, as it relates to our client before accepting same for broadcast hook, line and sinker.

 

The petition said that “Arise TV is very wrong to have broadcast the documentary in question, which maliciously targets the character and reputation of our client in al respects without sufficient fact-checking and verification of the sources.

 

“However for emphasis, the documentary falsely states among others “that our client, sometimes in 2022 was arrested by the security agents for gun running and but bribed his way out.”

 

“This documentary is

indefensibly false and malicious, yet, your media house gave a platform to unverified and potentially defamatory content, especially when it comes an individual’s reputation and integrity.

 

We wish also to remind you that under law, every defamatory broadcast or rebroadcast establishes a cause of action on behalf of our client. We therefore seriously warn you against any further or repeat broadcast of the defamatory documentary against our client.

 

In the meantime, to affirm the right of our client against your

defamatory publication broadcast, we demand that you confirm to us within 24 hours of receipt of this letter, an apology and your retraction of the said broadcast/documentary by

responding to this Letter.

 

Note also that we are claiming damages of Five Hundred Million Naira (N500, 000,000.00) from your Media house for the expressly defamatory broadcast in issue. Failure of which, we will

immediately initiate an action against your organisation.

 

While writing the National Broadcasting Commission , Alhaji Ibrahim Dende Egungbohun called for its urgent intervention to “investigate and sanction Arise TV/ Arise Media Group for its deliberate unethical and irresponsible broadcast of a libellous sixteen-minute long documentary. which maliciously targets the character and reputation of our client in all respects without sufficient fact-checking and verification of the sources.

 

Egungbohun said “Notwithstanding that the said broadcast/documentary is manifestly falsehood, pre-occupied with criminal resentment and hatred neither

warranted, necessary, proper nor justified against our client, Arise TV went ahead to transmit, circulate and allow its anchors to maliciously

comment on same to its national and international audience and community, insinuating that our client is gun runner and notorious

criminal.

 

“It is in the light of above and the continued misrepresentation including character assassination of our client that we urge NBC to invoke the necessary sanctions on Arise TV for the breaches

enumerated above”, the petition concluded.

Nigeria News

Afenifere Reacts To Invasion Of Oyo House Of Assembly

Published

on

By

 

The pan-Yoruba socio-cultural and political organization, Afenifere, has condemned the recent invasion of the Oyo State House of Assembly in Ibadan by individuals claiming to be Yoruba nation agitators.

NigeriaUpdates reports that some people claiming to be Yoruba nation agitators, on Saturday attacked the premises of the Oyo State House of Assembly, Agodi Secretariat in Ibadan, which is recognized as Yorubaland’s political centre.

According to a viral video, the invaders claimed to have established a ‘Democratic Republic of the Yoruba’ out of Nigeria.

Afenifere’s National Publicity Secretary, Comrade Jare Ajayi, issued a statement denouncing the agitators’ actions, asserting that their actions do not represent the interests of the Yoruba people.

“Those who took the said step did not act in the interest of the Yorubas whom they alleged to be representing,” Ajayi stated.

The organization firmly refuted the legitimacy of any so-called ‘Democratic Republic of Yoruba’, emphasizing the constitutional implications.

“Yoruba is an important component of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. And as is well known, there cannot be a sovereign republic within an extant sovereign republic,” he added.

Despite acknowledging various systemic issues within the Nigerian state, Afenifere stressed that solutions should not involve violent separatism.

Afenifere also expressed support for the current federal administration under President Bola Tinubu, noting efforts to restructure the nation for improved governance and regional autonomy.

“Afenifere is of the strong view that President Bola Tinubu’s administration is taking steps to rejig Nigeria in a manner that would make the country become one that every citizen would be proud of soonest. Restructuring the country is a sure way of accelerating this,” Ajayi said further.

Continue Reading

Nigeria News

Panic In Lagos As Hoodlums Reportedly Terrorise Residents 

Published

on

By

 

Lagosians are not alien to the menace of street urchins popularly known as Area Boys, but the latest dimension to the infamous activities of scoundrels in the state has thrown most residents into panic with all attention turning to the state government to see how it will rein in this fledgling monster before it fully bare its fangs on residents in the state, The Sun reports.

According to the the report carried out, it was revealed that driving in most parts of the state has never been an easy task as motorists have a number of challenges, including gridlocks, poor state of the roads in some parts, harassment by ubiquitous uniformed personnel, as well as the endless extortions on commercial bus operators by narky road union workers popular known as Agbero. Perhaps more worrisome is the latest dimension of extortions by street urchins of stranded motorists in the state.

One of the latest victims of this form of extortion by miscreants in the state is Mr Abdulateef Soyemi, whose vehicle suddenly developed a fault along the old Abeokuta Road in Agege area of state.

Soyemi told Sunday Sun that he was heading for Ilupeju when his vehicle suddenly malfunctioned. “I left the car by the roadside to search for an automobile mechanic. As I was returning with the mechanic, I observed that some people had clustered around my car.

“Before getting close to them, the young mechanic informed me that they wouldn’t allow him to work on the car unless I settled with them. I asked him why I would have to settle them and he replied that that was the latest development in the state. True to his words, I parted with N4,000 before they permitted him to fix the car,” he recalled.

Also, it almost took a violent turn before Mr Nichola Omachi, another resident of Lagos, had a change of heart to give Caesar his due.

Like Soyemi, Omachi was returning from Mushin in the company of one of his friends to his Alagbado residence one afternoon when his vehicle suddenly grounded to a halt before Oshodi.

Moments after getting a mechanic to work on the faulty car, a gang of street urchins swarmed round him to demand for money.

A perplexed Omachi said that he was still trying to figure out why he had to pay them by asking one of them what the money was meant for when his impatient friend suddenly engaged in hot altercations with one of them.

But for the mechanic, who obviously was aware of this illegal practice and the consequence of daring these hoodlums, Omachi and his friend would probably have had it worse than just parting with money to them.

“While my friend engaged in a shouting match with one of them, the young mechanic called me back and advised me to give them something, saying that is the practice. Until that day I had never had such experience. It was after the incident that I started to hear from people who had had similar experience in the past,” Mr Omachi revealed.

By conceding to ‘settle’ these gangsters, Soyemi and Omachi saved themselves from a bigger headache.

Findings by Sunday Sun revealed that most motorists who refuse to cooperate with these hoodlums stand the risk of getting their vehicles vandalized in addition to being rough handled by these miscreants.

An auto electrician, Afolabi Sunday, said that he lost his working tools to these touts on one occasion when one of his clients refused to settle them when they accosted the vehicle owner and demanded money for repairing his car in their zone.

Afolabi said that he was accompanying the owner of the vehicle to Ladipo Spareparts Market to purchase a vehicle part when the vehicle developed a fault along Capitol Road.

“As I was working on the vehicle, some boys, about seven or eight, emerged from nowhere. I took them for granted by continuing to work on the vehicle on the assumption that the man would settle them and allow them to go. But he did no such thing. Rather, he threatened to get them arrested and this led to a major brawl with the man.

“In a short while, one of them smashed one of the side mirrors and before we could say jack, they all disappeared. By the time the dust would settle, I discovered that they had made away with my tools while the man also lost his phone,” Afolabi revealed.

Those who are familiar with this ugly trend liken it to the menace of Omo Onile, which the government has relatively succeeded in checking haven plagued the state for a long time.

These miscreants, Sunday Sun gathered, often claim to be street lords of their area of operations and will, therefore, demand to be paid for ‘securing’ the area.

A resident and community leader at Oko Oba Agege, who pleaded anonymity, described the trend as a time bomb capable of consuming the state if not accorded the urgent attention it requires.

According to him, “the trend is not a new development to people like us who live in this part of the state. But most people think it’s new because it is now getting more rampant and happening in several other parts of the state. I, as a person, have fallen victim a couple of times. These boys will only ask you for money during the day time. But at night, it will be outright robbery; they will take anything and everything they can take, including the removable part of your car such as the car battery.”

The source suggested that this criminal trend is better tackled by community policing which many have advocated.

“It is always easy to blame the police for every form of crime in society. But this particular crime is better dealt with by the community itself. These boys (criminals) are well known in the community. They are always careful to make sure that their victims don’t know them. If a vehicle breaks down now they will first send one of them to find out the identity of the owner. If their emissary comes back to inform them that the person is a known face, they will steer clear. But if the person is a stranger, they will march down to the place and extort the person,” he said.

Apart from extorting stranded motorists, Sunday Sun gathered that these miscreants have other approaches.

One of them is to beg their victims for money. They follow their would-be-victim begging and praying simultaneously in similar ways beggars do until they get what they want.

Sometimes, they turn back if their persistence yields no result. On some occasions, however, they might decide to resort to verbal abuse of their victims, who risk being attacked and robbed especially in isolated areas, if such person attempts to reply to them.

Areas notorious for this tactics, according to sources, include Agege, Toll-Gate, Iyana Ipaja, Mushin, among others.

Similarly, there has been an uproar among residents who had been compelled to pay ‘ransom’ to get their phones returned to them after their phones had been forcefully taken away from them.

A video clip which lends credence to this claim trended recently with many residents confirming the veracity of this claim.

A security expert, Folarin Awofisibe, described this development as worrisome and called for increasing policing of the state.

“This is another indication that there is a need to beef up the security architecture not only in the state, but across Nigeria.

“The hardship in the country is piling more pressure on our security system and except the government shows more will power in addressing the security challenge, criminals will continue to devise new approaches such as this,” Awofisibe said, adding that, “the current calls for multi-layer security system, will go a long way in easing the nation’s security challenge if acceded to.”

Via The Sun

Continue Reading

Nigeria News

Organised Labour Makes Fresh Minimum Wage Demand For Workers.

Published

on

By

The Organised Labour has demanded ₦615,000 as the new minimum wage for workers in the country.

 

An executive of the organized labour, requesting anonymity as he lacked authorization to speak on the issue, disclosed to Sunday PUNCH that the consensus on the new monthly wage of ₦615,000 was reached through consultations facilitated by the NLC and TUC.

 

The source said, “We (NLC and TUC) have given our figures to the government (on the minimum wage), and it is ₦615,000. That is the position of the NLC and TUC on the matter. The government has been informed as well.”

 

Recall that the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Joe Ajaero, had said in an interview that rising inflation in the country might push organised labour to demand ₦1 million as the minimum wage.

 

As a result, various controversies emerged, with experts expressing doubts about the feasibility or long-term viability of the proposed wage.

 

However, in an interview with Punch correspondent, another labour leader emphasized that the NLC and TUC had tentatively agreed on setting the new wage at ₦615,000.

 

When questioned about whether the May 1 deadline was still feasible, the labour leader said, “What I want you to know is that we are doing our best. Both the TUC and NLC have harmonised, and they have sent their position to the government.

 

“We are in the process. Be assured that once anything happens, I will, as usual, inform you. That is all I can tell you for now because we have not met, even though we have submitted our unified positions to the Federal Government. We will be speaking with one voice.

 

“But, let me also hint to you that with the removal of the electricity tariff subsidy, we are going to have another round of serious conversations with the government.

 

“Mind you, the tariff increase is also very good for us, because they (the government) did it when the new minimum wage process had not been concluded. So, it is going to be a good ground for us to ask for more.

 

“Our position will be defended based on the new price of ₦225 per kWh of electricity. Although we (the government and Labour) are not in agreement, we are waiting to meet and decide on the next point of action.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2014 NigeriaUpdates.