Document Unveils Next Alaafin | Nigeria Updates- Breaking News, Nigerian News, Politics, Sports, Entertainment and Business - Nigeriaupdates.com Nigeria Updates
Connect with us

Culture

Document Unveils Next Alaafin

Published

on

 

 

A document has emerged revealing the identity of whom the Oyo Mesi, a group of kingmakers in Oyo State, selected as the new Alaafin of Oyo, Nigeria Updates has learned.

According to the document, the Oyo Mesi, reportedly picked Lukman Gbadegesin from the Agunloye Ruling House and forwarded his name to the government last year.

In the document sighted by Premium Times, the name of the late Oba Lamidi Adeyemi’s likely successor was sent to the Oyo State government on September 30, 2022.

The document, believed to be a proclamation document and a court judgment, was signed by the five living Oyo Mesi members and two warrant chiefs selected by the government to replace deceased Oyo Mesi members.

The proclamation reads, “We hereby proclaim Prince Lukman Adelodun Gbadegesin the new Alaafin.”

The kingmakers said they received a list of 82 aspiring princes from the Baba Iyaji of Oyo, the head of all princes, Mukaila Afonja.

As the proclamation shows, all the kingmakers signed for Mr Gbadegesin, whose grandfather, Alaafin Bello Gbadegesin Ladigbolu II, was the predecessor of the immediate past Alaafin Adeyemi III.

By Oyo tradition and the Alaafin Chieftaincy Declaration, Baba Iyaji is empowered to collect the names of aspiring princes from the next ruling house and transmit them to the Bashorun, the head of Oyo Mesi.

The Bashorun would then convene a meeting of the kingmakers to take a vote, and the prince, with a simple majority, is to be proclaimed Alaafin.

According to the law, an aspirant or the ruling house has 21 days to petition the government to challenge the selection. But no such petition was written.

However, after the expiration of the 21-day window, a prince, Hakeem Ladigbolu, approached the court to set aside the selection process.

But in a judgment given on December 19, 2023, an Oyo State High Court in Oyo Town, upheld the process leading to the selection of Gbadegesin, court papers show.

Nigeria Updates gathered that despite the proclamation by the Oyo Mesi and the court judgment upholding the process, the government has yet to make a formal stand.

Meanwhile, the Bashorun of Oyo, Yusuf Akinade, confirmed the process has been concluded.

He told the platform, “We have submitted everything to the government, direct all other questions to the government, but we have completed the process.” He, however, refused to disclose the name of the prince selected.

Culture

Emir Sanusi: I Don’t Care If I’m Removed Again

Published

on

By

 

Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has spoken out about the controversies surrounding his removal and reinstatement.

 

In an interview, he discussed the history of the Kano Emirate, the reasons behind his unpopularity with the past administration, and the role of traditional institutions in Nigeria.

 

Sanusi described the creation of new emirates by the previous government as an “assault on a system” that divided the people of Kano.

 

He emphasized that the Kano Emirate has existed for over 1000 years and that the creation of new emirates was done without consideration for history or tradition.

 

The Emir also addressed the issue of kingmakers, stating that the previous government’s creation of a new kingmaker position was unconstitutional and went against the tradition of the four kingmaker families who have historically chosen the emir.

 

Sanusi expressed gratitude to the current government for restoring the original order and emphasized that his focus is on preserving the history and custom of the emirate, rather than personal interests.

 

When asked why he did not challenge his removal in court, Sanusi explained that he did not want to engage in a lengthy legal battle that would have kept him away from his duties as emir. Instead, he chose to focus on his personal development, completing a PhD thesis on the codification of Islamic Family Law.

 

Sanusi plans to leverage his experience and knowledge to move the emirate forward, emphasizing the importance of education and economic empowerment for women and children. He praised the current government’s efforts to prioritize education and provide opportunities for girls to attend school.

Continue Reading

Culture

Court Awards N10 Million Damages to Dethroned Emir of Kano, Bayero

Published

on

By

 

The Federal High Court in Kano has ruled in favor of the deposed Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, awarding him N10 million in damages for the violation of his fundamental rights and freedom of movement.

 

Justice Simon Amobeda declared that Bayero’s arrest without lawful justification was unjustified.

 

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf had dethroned Bayero and reinstated Muhammadu Sanusi II as Emir, leading to Bayero’s legal challenge.

 

The court upheld Bayero’s right to move freely and live in Kano or elsewhere in Nigeria but did not order Sanusi II’s eviction from the palace.

 

Counsel for Bayero, Abdulrazaq Ahmad, hailed the judgment as a vindication, while counsel for the Kano State government and Sanusi II, Ibrahim Isa Wangida, saw it as a victory for their clients, but may appeal the damages award.

 

The court’s decision restrains the state government and security agencies from further breaching Bayero’s rights.

Continue Reading

Culture

Sheikh Niasse Denies Asking Sanusi to Step Down as Emir of Kano

Published

on

By

 

Sheikh Muhammad Mahi Niasse, the global leader of the Tijjaniyya Sect, has refuted claims that he asked Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, the 16th Emir of Kano, to relinquish his throne.

 

A letter circulating online had purportedly claimed that Sheikh Niasse urged Sanusi to step down, but the sect’s leader has denounced the letter as fake and forged.

 

In a counter letter written in Arabic and translated into Hausa, Sheikh Niasse’s spokesperson, Sani Auwalu Ahmad Tijjan, who is also the Commissioner of Religious Matters in Kano State, confirmed that the original letter was a fabrication.

 

The spokesperson described Sanusi as a disciple of Sheikh Niasse in Nigeria, known for his humility and sound religious character.

 

The sect has given those responsible for the fake letter 24 hours to come forward and explain its origin and intended recipient, failing which legal action will be taken.

 

This is the second time a fake letter has been attributed to Sheikh Niasse, and the sect is determined to take action to protect their leader’s integrity.

 

Security agents are already involved in the matter, and those found responsible will face the full force of the law.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2014 NigeriaUpdates.