Metro
False Bandit Attack Rumour Causes Panic in Ogbomoso as Oyo Police Restore Calm
The Oyo State Police Command has dismissed reports of an alleged bandit invasion in parts of Ogbomoso and neighbouring Ajaawa Town, describing the claims as false and misleading.
In a statement issued on Monday, police said calm had been restored after rumours circulated that armed bandits had attacked areas around Are-Ago High School in Ogbomoso.
The reports triggered panic among residents, students, and businesses across the affected communities, prompting an immediate security response from the police.
According to the command, surveillance and patrol teams were deployed to verify the claims and prevent a breakdown of law and order.
What happened at the school?
Police said investigations traced the incident to confusion sparked by the sighting of unfamiliar individuals near the school premises.
Officers who arrived at the scene met with the school principal, Mrs Akanbi Ruth, who reportedly explained that some students raised concerns after spotting unknown persons behind the school fence.
The command later identified the individuals as an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps attached to the Kwara State Command and two civilians travelling in a Toyota Venza SUV.
According to the police, the group had visited the female occupant of the vehicle to celebrate her birthday.
Authorities said the NSCDC officer’s identity was verified through relevant security channels in Ogbomoso.
Police added that an altercation between some teachers and the visitors may have intensified suspicion within the school, causing students to spread unverified information to neighbouring schools and nearby communities.
That chain reaction, officials said, fuelled widespread panic before the facts were confirmed.
Police warn against fake news and misinformation
The police command stressed that there was “no bandit attack, invasion, or security breach” in Ogbomoso or Ajaawa.
In the statement, Police Public Relations Officer DSP Ayanlade Olayinka warned residents against sharing unverified security information online.
“The dissemination of false information, particularly on security-related matters, has the potential to create avoidable chaos, disrupt socio-economic activities, and negatively affect the collective security efforts being sustained across the state.”
The command also warned that individuals found deliberately spreading false information capable of inciting fear or public disorder could face investigation and prosecution.
Security patrols have since been intensified in the affected areas, while schools, markets, and businesses have reportedly resumed normal activities.
Why the incident matters
The incident highlights growing concerns over the speed at which misinformation spreads through social media and messaging platforms in Nigeria, especially around security-related issues.
False security alarms can disrupt economic activities, create public fear, and overwhelm emergency response systems.
Security analysts have repeatedly warned that unverified reports shared on social platforms can escalate tensions in already sensitive communities.
In recent years, several Nigerian states have battled viral misinformation linked to insecurity, kidnappings, and communal violence.
Experts say improving digital literacy and encouraging citizens to verify information before sharing it are becoming increasingly important.
Commissioner urges calm
The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbemiga, urged residents to remain calm and continue cooperating with security agencies.
He encouraged the public to provide credible and timely information to help strengthen public safety across the state.
Residents were also advised to use official emergency channels for verified security updates.
Emergency contacts released by police
The police released the following emergency lines for residents:
Oyo State Call Response Center (Toll-Free): 615
Oyo State Police Command Control Room: 08081768614
Oyo State Police Command Control Room: 07055495413
Metro
NPF Rescues 30 Malians, Arrests 13 in Human Trafficking Syndicate Bust
The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) says it has dismantled a transnational human trafficking and fraud syndicate operating in and around the Federal Capital Territory, rescuing 30 foreign nationals and arresting 13 suspects linked to the network.
Police said the operation followed intelligence reports about the disappearance of several foreign nationals who were allegedly lured into Nigeria with false promises of jobs and migration opportunities to Europe.
Authorities identified the alleged syndicate leader as Abdul Ngaki. Other suspects arrested include Fatimah Kulibali, Ahmad Kasango, Sidibe Musa, Muhammad Dembele, Saidu Traore, Ali Koulibaly, Abdul Ngeki, Ahmed Sirma, Laya Bando, Aisha Dembele, Abi Togo and Awa Tesure.
Victims allegedly lured with fake migration promises
According to the police, preliminary investigations revealed that the group targeted vulnerable young people from West African countries, particularly Mali and Gabon.
Victims were reportedly persuaded to pay transportation and processing fees with promises of relocation opportunities and lucrative jobs in Nigeria.
Police said the victims were later taken to residential locations in Mararaba and Karu in Nasarawa State, where they were allegedly held under exploitative and restrictive conditions.
In a statement issued on Sunday, Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Anthony Okon PlacId, said investigators uncovered a more disturbing pattern during the operation.
“Victims who could not meet additional financial demands were coerced into participating in staged kidnapping schemes orchestrated by the syndicate,” the statement said.
The police alleged that victims were forced to contact relatives in their home countries while pretending to have been abducted, pressuring families to send ransom payments into accounts controlled by the suspects.
Coordinated operation led to arrests
The Nigeria Police Force said operatives of the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) carried out coordinated raids on 7 May 2026 at hideouts located along Barrister Road, Rugan Dakachi, Nasarawa State.
The operation led to the rescue of all 30 victims, who police identified as Malian nationals.
Authorities said all 13 suspects were arrested in connection with the alleged trafficking and fraud operation.
Why this matters
Human trafficking remains a major security and humanitarian challenge across West Africa, with criminal networks increasingly exploiting economic hardship, unemployment and irregular migration routes.
Security analysts say syndicates often prey on young people desperate for better opportunities abroad, using fake recruitment offers and migration schemes to trap victims in forced labour, cyber fraud or extortion networks.
The latest arrests also highlight growing concerns about cross-border organised crime operating between Nigeria and neighbouring countries.
Civil society organisations have repeatedly called for stronger regional cooperation, victim protection systems and public awareness campaigns to combat trafficking.
Police promise wider crackdown
The Nigeria Police Force said investigations are ongoing and promised that everyone connected to the syndicate would face prosecution.
“The Nigeria Police Force reaffirms its commitment to combating human trafficking, transnational organised crime, and all forms of exploitation,” the statement added.
The force also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and report suspicious migration agents or trafficking-related activities to security agencies.
Industry and public reactions
Anti-trafficking advocates described the rescue as significant but warned that more needs to be done to protect migrants from exploitation.
Migration experts say social media has become a major tool used by traffickers to recruit vulnerable young people with promises of overseas jobs and scholarships.
Some residents in Nasarawa communities near the alleged hideouts also expressed shock over the scale of the operation, saying many suspected the buildings were ordinary residential apartments.
What happens next?
The rescued victims are expected to undergo profiling, medical support and further investigation as authorities work to identify additional members of the network.
Police say financial trails linked to the alleged ransom scheme are also being examined.
Authorities are expected to collaborate with foreign embassies and regional security agencies as investigations continue.
Metro
Ogun Police Recover Three Stolen Vehicles, Arrest Two Suspected Armed Robbers
The Ogun State Police Command says it has recovered three allegedly stolen vehicles and arrested two suspected members of an armed robbery syndicate operating within the state and neighbouring areas.
The suspects, identified as Mohammed Adeniyi Usman, also known as “Mandela”, 48, and Abiodun Ogunojukan, also known as “Ilasa”, 38, were arrested during separate operations carried out by officers from the Ifo and Sango Divisions.
Police authorities said the operation also led to the recovery of two live cartridges, foreign currencies, a So-Safe Corps uniform, an MP3 sound system, and a plasma television set.
The operation was led by the Divisional Police Officers of Ifo and Sango divisions, CSP Kamorudeen Olabisi and CSP Idowu G. Olatunji.
How the Operation Unfolded
According to the police, detectives acted on intelligence linked to an earlier case of armed robbery and vehicle theft reported within the divisions’ jurisdictions.
On 10 May 2026, officers reportedly stormed a suspected hideout in the Adeleye area of Itele, Ota, where stolen vehicles were believed to be concealed.
Police spokesperson DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi said operatives arrived at about 4:00pm and discovered suspected stolen vehicles inside the premises before setting up surveillance around the location.
The operation later resulted in the arrest of Usman at about 10:35pm.
During a search of the property, officers recovered a Toyota Corolla belonging to a complainant, a Toyota Venza allegedly stolen at gunpoint in Abeokuta on 26 April, and a Honda Crosstour reportedly snatched during another robbery incident in Ijoko, Ota.
Police Link Suspects to Wider Criminal Syndicate
Investigators say preliminary findings suggest the suspects may be linked to a larger armed robbery and vehicle-snatching network operating in Ogun State and beyond.
A follow-up operation carried out on 11 May at the Sango-Ota Under Bridge led to the arrest of Ogunojukan.
Police said the suspect confessed to involvement in the crimes and provided information that could help authorities track down other fleeing members of the group and recover additional stolen vehicles.
“The suspect reportedly confessed to his involvement in the crimes and assisted the Police with useful information to track down other fleeing members of the syndicate.”
The case has now been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCIID) in Eleweran, Abeokuta, for further investigation and prosecution.
Why the Arrests Matter
Vehicle theft and armed robbery remain major security concerns in parts of Ogun State, particularly around border communities and busy transport corridors connecting Lagos and Ogun.
Security analysts say intelligence-led policing and inter-divisional collaboration are becoming increasingly important in tackling organised criminal networks involved in car theft and illegal trafficking.
Residents in Ifo, Ota, and Sango have repeatedly raised concerns over rising incidents of robbery attacks and vehicle snatching, especially along poorly lit roads and isolated residential areas.
The latest arrests may reassure residents and motorists, although security experts warn that sustained surveillance and public cooperation will be necessary to dismantle larger criminal networks.
Commissioner of Police Commends Officers
The Commissioner of Police in Ogun State, CP Bode Ojajuni, praised the officers involved in the operation for what he described as professionalism and swift response.
In a statement released by the command, the commissioner reiterated the police force’s commitment to combating violent crime across the state.
“The CP reiterates the Command’s unwavering commitment to the protection of lives and property and the sustained clampdown on criminal elements across the State.”
The police also urged residents to remain vigilant and continue providing credible information to security agencies.
Emergency contact lines released by the command include the Gateway Shield toll-free line: 0800 000 9111.
What Happens Next?
Police authorities say investigations are ongoing and more arrests could follow as detectives work to identify and apprehend other suspected members of the syndicate.
Recovered vehicles and other exhibits have reportedly been secured and documented pending further legal proceedings.
Metro
NDLEA Arrests Three Persons With Disabilities Over Drug Trafficking, Seizes N5.8bn Cannabis in Lagos
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says it has arrested three persons with disabilities (PWDs) in separate drug trafficking operations across Anambra and Kwara states, as operatives also uncovered a major cannabis stash house in Lekki, Lagos.
The agency said the Lagos operation led to the seizure of 2,326 kilograms of “Loud”, a potent strain of cannabis with an estimated street value of more than N5.8 billion.
The arrests and seizures were announced in a statement issued on Sunday by NDLEA spokesperson Femi Babafemi.
Massive Lekki Drug Bust
According to the NDLEA, operatives from its Special Operations Unit raided a mansion at 36 African Lane in Lekki Phase 1 on Friday.
Officials said they recovered 4,000 parcels of Loud cannabis hidden inside the property.
Two Mercedes-Benz buses and packaging materials allegedly used for retail drug distribution were also seized.
The agency described the building as a “stash house” used for storing and distributing illegal drugs within Lagos and beyond.
Why it matters
The seizure highlights growing concerns among security agencies over the increasing sophistication of drug trafficking networks in Nigeria’s commercial hubs.
Lagos, Nigeria’s largest city and busiest port economy, has increasingly become a strategic transit point for narcotics traffickers targeting both domestic and international markets, according to security analysts.
Experts warn that the spread of synthetic and high-potency cannabis products among young Nigerians is becoming a major public health concern.
Three Persons With Disabilities Arrested
The NDLEA said one of the suspects, 60-year-old Romanus Nwabara, was arrested in Akpaka Forest, Onitsha, after officers allegedly found him with 250 grams of skunk packaged in retail sachets.
In a separate operation in Ogbunike, Anambra State, operatives arrested Amos Kenneth, 25, with tramadol, diazepam, Exol-5 tablets, and skunk.
Meanwhile, in Kwara State, officers intercepted a commercial vehicle along Bode Saadu road and arrested Usman Salisu after allegedly discovering 6.3 kilograms of skunk concealed in a school bag.
The NDLEA did not specify the nature of the disabilities of the suspects.
Public and advocacy perspectives
Disability rights advocates have repeatedly called for balanced public reporting involving persons with disabilities, warning against reinforcing stereotypes linking disability with criminality.
Social policy experts say economic hardship, unemployment, and social exclusion may contribute to vulnerability among some marginalised groups, including PWDs.
Additional Arrests Across Nigeria
The anti-drug agency also announced several other operations carried out in recent days.
In Nasarawa State, Emmanuel Osita Okeke, 38, was arrested in Nyanya Karu with 129 kilograms of skunk, according to the agency.
In Kogi State, NDLEA operatives intercepted a commuter bus travelling to Abuja and reportedly recovered 766 kilograms of skunk hidden inside 76 jumbo bags.
Three suspects, Mathew Omohove, Ebuka Desmond, and Babangida Musa were arrested.
NDLEA Raids ‘Skuchies’ Factory in Lagos
In another operation in the Ijora Badia area of Lagos, officers raided what the agency described as a makeshift “skuchies” production factory.
Two suspects, Bose Jamiu and Gbenga Gege were arrested while allegedly mixing cannabis with other illicit substances.
The NDLEA said officers recovered 270 litres of the substance and tramadol tablets from the site.
“Skuchies” is a street term commonly used for cocktails made from blackcurrant drinks mixed with narcotics and other psychoactive substances.
Health professionals have warned that abuse of such mixtures can cause severe mental and physical health complications, especially among teenagers and young adults.
NDLEA Expands Anti-Drug Campaigns
Beyond enforcement operations, the agency said it continued its nationwide “War Against Drug Abuse” (WADA) sensitisation programme in schools and communities.
The outreach campaigns were held in several institutions and communities across Nasarawa, Ekiti, Enugu, Abia, Lagos, Akwa Ibom, Kano, and Oyo states.
NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Mohamed Buba Marwa, commended officers involved in the operations.
He praised what he described as a balance between drug supply reduction and public awareness campaigns.
“Their drug supply reduction efforts balanced with WADA sensitization activities,” the NDLEA chairman said while urging officers nationwide to maintain the momentum.
What Happens Next?
The agency has not yet confirmed when the suspects will be formally charged in court.
Under Nigerian law, suspects remain innocent until proven guilty.
Security analysts expect intensified anti-narcotics operations in Lagos and other major transit corridors in the coming months as authorities seek to curb drug trafficking and abuse.
-
Security5 days agoOyo Police Arrest Suspected Kidnapper, Recover Exhibits After ₦10m Ransom Operation
-
Crime7 days agoOyo Police Rescue US-Based Doctor From Mob Over False Kidnap Alarm, Arrest Three in Separate Gun Operation
-
Business2 days agoSterling Financial Holdings Assets Cross ₦4 Trillion as Profit Surges in Q1 2026
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Reps Primaries Marred by Violence, Delays, Rigging Claims in Lagos
-
Politics6 days agoAkoko Women Back Chief Ajipe Ahead of Ondo North APC Senatorial Primary
-
Education5 days ago9-Year-Old Lagos Author Launches Tola The Bully to Fight Bullying in Schools
-
Business4 days agoBenin Republic Consulate Backs Eko International Trade Expo Push for Nigeria-West Africa Trade Growth
-
Politics6 days agoAlex Ajipe Rejects Ondo APC Consensus Rumours as Women Groups Back Senatorial Bid

